Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Aloha from Kona, Hawaii!!



Aloha family and friends! Oh how I miss you all! We are loving Kona more and more. I am having a tough time uploading images but these are sights that are just down the road from where I live. Yesterday we went to "Captain Cook" which is the number one place in the state for snorkeling. It was so beautiful! After we went to "Bungo Ben's" which is a fantastic restaurant. We stayed there and watched the sunset go down as we listened to the live band that was playing our wedding song. It was so Romantic and such a beautiful moment. We shared this seven layer chocolate cake that was sinfully good to top off the evening. It was a perfect day. I felt like for the first time since we have been here I really got to see the Island. It made me realize how lucky I am to have this opportunity and especially to share it with Gary. Since I have been here I have also come across some interesting facts about Hawaii that you don't realize unless you live here. Here they are

* The state fish in Hawaii is the Humuhumunucanucaapua' a. I get the biggest kick out of
this! I just find it so humorous. This just gives you an idea of how hard it is to pronounce the street names around here.

*Another interesting fact about the people here is that if a family has all boys then they turn there last child into a girl. Ya that's right. They dress them in skirts and have them play with barbies. So, as a result you see a lot of transvestites around these parts. Very interesting wouldn't you say?

*Unlike where I come from, the women here are the bread winners. The men stay home and do relatively nothing and the women work like crazy. And not suprisingly, domestic violent rates are incredibly high around here. Its pretty sad.


*On the other side of the Island of Hawaii is a town called Hilo which is the rainiest city in the US! They also have the highest mountain in the world here if you are measuring from sea level on up.

* Teen pregnancy is the worst I have ever seen here. It is not rare at all to see a group of young girls on the beach and one with a huge tummy. They even dedicate one of the pages in their high school year book for all the babies that were born that year.

* The Ironman takes place right down the street from me! This is a world wide ridiculous event! 26 mile run, 3 mile swim int he ocean, and 112 mile bike ride. The human body can do amazing things!

Well more is yet to come! Hopefully I will find a way to upload more pics. Love you all!

1 comment:

Andee said...

Oh Misty that was the most wonderful post! Hawaii sounds absolutely wonderful for you and Gary!! What awesome memories you are creating! You guys are the coolest couple I know. I love you so much! And thanks for the very interesting Hawaii facts!